Sunday, March 23, 2008

Why I wish to serve on the Milllville School Board.

As I was introducing myself at the Shop Rite yesterday, I was asked by a teacher why was I running. This is a good question.

I am seeking a seat with the Millville Board of Education. I can offer a fresh perspective on issues facing our schools. I am a dedicated community activist who has been over the past 5 years been involved in efforts to make Millville a better place. I care about our city and have demonstrated this in my actions. I am an active member of the Center City Neighborhood Group, Neighborhood Policing Task Force for the past year. I have collaborated with city leaders, artists, and neighborhood leaders to continue positive change in Millville. I wish to bring my experience to the Millville Board of Education.

As a board member, I will encourage planning and dialogue between city and district leaders, teachers and staff.

The Millville School District is facing significant challenges that will require thoughtful planning. The state of New Jersey is cutting back on funding for Abbot Districts while maintaining mandates that are in some cases are costly. I want to be your voice in enhancing our children's learning experience without creating undue hardship for Millville taxpayers. The long term revitalization of Millville depends on our kids and our schools.

No comments: